BMW At Geneva Autoshow

bimmermania
Turbo Charged Member
Turbo Charged Member

BMW At Geneva Autoshow

Post by bimmermania »

ImageBMW at the 82nd Geneva Motor Show 2012.

Official Release: Woodcliff Lake, NJ – Driving pleasure, emotion, captivating design, premium quality and groundbreaking efficiency characterize the model range which keeps the BMW brand on track for success in 2012. At the 2012 Geneva Motor Show, BMW presents several new production models as well as groundbreaking vehicle concepts whose design and technology pave the way to forms of mobility which are both exciting and sustainable.

The innovative strength of the world’s most successful premium automobile manufacturer enables the development of vehicles which combine an exceptional level of charisma and continuously increasing driving pleasure with a consistent reduction in fuel consumption and exhaust emission levels. With its current model program, BMW sets the benchmark for technological advancement, groundbreaking design and sustainability in the automotive sector. The continuation of this development strategy is embodied in the BMW i3 Concept and BMW i8 Concept on show in Geneva.

World Premiere: the BMW 6 Series Gran Coupe

Introducing the BMW 6 Series Gran Coupe – a new 4-door, 4+1 seat addition to the 6 Series line that successfully combines the stunning proportions, design and driving dynamics of the 6 Series Coupe with interior room and amenities for up to five passengers. Harmonious proportions, precise lines and sleekly contoured surfaces give the BMW 6 Series Gran Coupe the unique ability to satisfy the driver who wants a luxurious and sporty coupe yet needs a car capable of carrying four adults in comfort and luxury. The BMW 6 Series Gran Coupe will be offered as three distinct models in the USA. The TwinPower Turbo 6-cylinder powered 2013 640i Gran Coupe is the initial model of the range, arrives early this summer and is priced at $76,895 (including $895 Destination and Handling Charge). Later in the summer, the TwinPower Turbo V-8 powered 2013 BMW 650i Gran Coupe and the all-wheel drive 2013 BMW 650i xDrive Gran Coupe will join the range. Pricing for the V-8 powered models will be announced closer to the time of launch.

World Premiere: The New 2013 BMW M6 Coupe

The iconic M6 returns from a two year hiatus more powerful, more athletic, more focused, more luxurious and more efficient than ever before. Since the “M6” badge was first placed on a BMW back in 1987, this iconic model has exemplified the luxury and daily usability of a top range BMW coupe combined with true super-car performance. Now, in its 3rd generation, the all-new BMW M6 will again be offered as a 4-seat Coupe and Convertible.

The new 2012 BMW M6 Convertible will be the first to arrive in US BMW Center showrooms in June 2012 and will make its world premiere at the New York International Auto Show in April. The BMW M6 Coupe will arrive at US BMW Centers in the late Summer of 2012 as a 2013 model. US Pricing, technical specifications, EPA mileage ratings, standard and optional equipment will be announced closer to the on-sale date.

Like its sedan brother the M5, the new M6 models are high-performance sports cars whose exceptional dynamic potential is geared squarely towards the demands of track use. At the same time, the M6 sets new benchmarks in daily driving comfort, innovative features and fuel efficiency.

In order to achieve these lofty performance goals, the new BMW M6 Coupe and Convertible share the most powerful engine ever fitted in a series-produced model from BMW M GmbH – a high-revving 560 hp M TwinPower Turbo V-8 mated to a high-torque 7-speed M-Double Clutch Transmission (M-DCT). An innovative Active M Differential which optimizes power transfer between the rear wheels. This drivetrain, combined with extensive chassis and suspension upgrades ensure that the engine’s performance can be transferred to the ground.

World Premiere: BMW M Performance Automobiles

BMW M GmbH reveals the start of a completely new product range with four premieres at the 2012 Geneva Motor Show. The BMW M Performance automobiles meet the demand for more power, precise handling and highly expressive design while retaining unlimited suitability for everyday use and exemplary efficiency. The BMW M550d xDrive, M550d xDrive Touring, X5 M50d and X6 M50d will be the first to come to market. Their main points in common: the most innovative, powerful and efficient in-line 6-cylinder diesel engine in the world, the intelligent all-wheel drive system BMW xDrive, M-specific suspension settings and a characteristic design.

The new diesel engine with triple turbocharger and common rail direct injection delivers 280 kW/381 hp and mobilizes a maximum torque of 740 Newton meters (546 lb-ft). The 8-speed sports automatic transmission, xDrive, the suspension technology and the aerodynamic balance of the BMW M Performance automobiles are configured specifically to match the performance characteristics of each model with the precision typical of BMW M GmbH. New benchmarks are achieved, especially in terms of agility but also in the area of efficiency. For example, the BMW M550d xDrive accelerates in 4.7 seconds from zero to 100 km/h, while its average fuel consumption in the EU test cycle is 6.3 liters per 100 kilometers.

These initial BMW M Performance models are not slated for sale in the North American market.

Premiere: Additional Engines for the New BMW 3 Series Sedan

The 2012 Geneva Motor Show marks the debut of additional engine versions (for markets other than the USA and Canada) for the new BMW 3 Series Sedan that just went on sale this month. Each with four cylinders, a capacity of 2.0 liters and BMW TwinPower Turbo Technology, the engines of the BMW 316d, 318d and 320i provide a level of power delivery which is typical of the brand as well as especially low fuel consumption and emission levels. The engine output of the two additional diesel models is 85 kW/116 hp in the BMW 316d and 105 kW/143 hp in the BMW 318d. As the new entry-level version among the gas engine models, the BMW 320i offers an output of 135 kW/184 hp. These additional engine variants are not slated for sale in the US market.

The M Sports package for the new BMW 3 Series Sedan is also presented along with the new engines. There is also a look ahead to further engine versions: BMW will be offering the intelligent all-wheel drive system xDrive for the new generation of the sporty sedan. The BMW ActiveHybrid 3 will be on display in Geneva. The M Sport package will arrive in the USA in August 2012 and the BMW ActiveHybrid 3 will arrive in September.

Premiere: BMW 116d EfficientDynamics Edition with CO2 level of 99 g/km

Just a few months after the successful market launch of the new BMW 1 Series in markets other than the USA and Canada, the engine range for the compact model will be extended with the addition of three 4-cylinder engines. The status of the most powerful gas engine variant goes to the BMW 125i, whose 4-cylinder power unit with BMW TwinPower Turbo Technology develops a maximum output of 160 kW/218 hp and a maximum torque of 310 Newton meters (228 lb-ft). The most powerful diesel model in future will be the 125d with the same output and a maximum torque of 450 Newton meters (330 lb-ft). Its BMW TwinPower Turbo Technology includes multi-stage turbocharging and the latest generation of common rail direct injection.

The new front runner of the BMW model range in terms of efficiency will also be in the spotlight at the 2012 International Motor Show in Geneva. The BMW 116d EfficientDynamics Edition is powered by an 85 kW/116 hp diesel engine with BMW TwinPower Turbo Technology. It accelerates in 10.5 seconds from zero to 100 km/h and its average fuel consumption in the EU test cycle is 3.8 liters per 100 kilometers. With a CO2 level of 99 grams per kilometer, the BMW 116d EfficientDynamics Edition sets another milestone in the continuous reduction of exhaust emissions in road traffic.

Please note that the new 1 Series 5-door model is not planned for sale in the USA or Canada.

World Premiere: The New Updated 2013 BMW X6.

Introducing the new 2013 BMW X6. The world’s first ever Sports Activity Coupe stills offers a unique combination of sporty dynamics, versatility and unmatched character. Select design updates and innovative features further hone the profile of the new BMW X6 as a distinctive model within the premium segment of all-wheel-drive vehicles. Its ongoing popularity is due to both its highly expressive design, which combines the athletic and elegant lines of a coupe with the unique character of a BMW X model, and the outstanding driving experience provided by two powerful engines featuring BMW TwinPower Turbo Technology and xDrive, the intelligent all-wheel-drive system. The BMW X6 continues to offer Dynamic Performance Control which gives the Sports Activity Coupe unparalleled agility for a vehicle in this segment. Since its market launch three years ago, more than 150,000 Sports Activity Coupes have been sold globally with over 20,000 sold here in the US. This has far exceeded the original expectations. The continuing high level of demand for the BMW X6 on worldwide markets is affirmation of the ground-breaking vehicle concept of the Sports Activity Coupe.

In the front view of the new BMW X6, its powerful presence is emphasized even more intensively with a particularly striking design of the BMW kidney grille and a new position for the fog lights. The rear lights, likewise modified, reflect the characteristic night design of the brand even more clearly. What is more, the new BMW X6 is the only vehicle within the competitive field of the BMW X models to be offered with optional adaptive LED headlights.

2013 BMW X6 Sports Activity Coupe which arrives in US BMW Centers this spring.

ImageBorn Electric: BMW i3 Concept and BMW i8 Concept

The consistent continuation of the BMW development strategy for sustainable mobility will be shown again at the 2012 Geneva Motor Show with the presentation by BMW i. The BMW i3 Concept and the BMW i8 Concept provide concrete insights into the models currently undergoing development for serial production. The BMW i3 will come off the production line at the BMW plant in Leipzig as early as 2013 as the first electrically powered premium vehicle in the world. The production start of the plug-in hybrid drive BMW i8 is due to follow at the beginning of 2014.

Author: Michael
Source: http://www.bimmerfile.com/2012/02/17/bm ... -autoshow/