BMWNA Disappointed with 5GT Sales & Plans to Keep 3 Series W

(1972 - 2010)
bimmermania
Turbo Charged Member
Turbo Charged Member

BMWNA Disappointed with 5GT Sales & Plans to Keep 3 Series W

Post by bimmermania »

ImageFile this under we told you so. Autonews is reporting BMWNA is disappointed with 5 Series GT sales. According to BMW the wagon/SUV hybrid isn’t attracting the 5 Series wagon crowd and instead stealing sales away from the more expensive 7 Series.

“The disappointment I have is that I thought a lot of our 5-series station wagon customers would go with the GT,” O’Donnell says. “In point of fact, that is not happening. We have lost those customers to the competition — mainly to Mercedes-Benz.

“The GT has attracted 7- and 5-series customers and conquests,” he says, “but not the station wagon customer we had hoped.”

Perhaps more importantly for BF readers BMW has changed their mind on wagons in the US given this news. THey now are publicly saying they will keep the 3 Series wagon in the US when the next generation touring debuts next year.

O’Donnell says he doesn’t want to lose wagon sales to Mercedes-Benz so BMW will keep the 3-series wagon in its lineup.

“We are not giving up the 3-series wagon because if you give it up, they will go straight to the competition,” he says.

And what about the 5 Series wagon?

O’Donnell says it may be too late for this generation. “It’s in the back of my mind,” he says. “When we do the next generation, maybe we should.”

You can read more over atAutonews.com

Author: Gabe
Source: http://www.bimmerfile.com/2011/05/23/bm ... ies-wagon/