where is the outside air temp sensor?

A Lounge for off topic discussions

Moderators: synergy, kyleabaker

kyleabaker
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by kyleabaker »

Here is a pic of my car with the clear tails, corners and sides..

You're right..it is kind of hard to find images online of smoked lights on cars, haha.
This is about all I could find really..
But you might check out this link, it looks like this guys e36 has smoked lights all the way around..
http://www.aaronborn.com/
kyleabaker
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by kyleabaker »

By the way, here are the new wheels that I ordered. They should be here in another week or so..

I didn't want them to stand out too much, so I went with a more traditional look..the silver. The hyper-silver and gun metal looked good in the pictures, but I think they would have looked tacky on my car.
96is
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member

Post by 96is »

Hey,
Those wheels look like they'll be a good match for your car. Thanks for the pics you found.

I ended up calling BavAuto, they have one pair of smoked tails. I'll order that later in the year when I can afford them, In the mean time I went ahead and got the smoked corners. When I went to put them in i ran into a bit of a problem and I'm wondering if you saw this when you put in your clears.

The "quick connect" that attaches to the back of the bulb on my car is 3 pronged, the one on the back of the new light is 2 pronged plus the new one has another small light below and to the left (towards the inside) of the main turn signal. (Any idea what that might be for?) The second problem is that the bulb used in my current connector have 2 contact points at their base. The new bulbs/connectors have only a single contact?

I pulled the 'new bulb assembly' out and plugged my old one in and it seemed to work for all the essentials. turn/park/hazards.

Any ideas? Thanks
96 - 318is
97 VW Jetta GLS (totalled and why I hate curbs)
91 - 318is (gone but not forgotten)
kyleabaker
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by kyleabaker »

Hmm, I don't think I had any problems with my corners. They were pretty much just plug and play as far as I can remember. I think mine only had one bulb that works the running light and turn signal. Your setup may just use one light for the running lights and the other for the turn. You might be able to get a converter for the connect so it will work as intended. Any way you could take a picture of it and upload it?

I got the wheels on and washed and waxed the car so I'll post some before and after pictures sometime this weekend. Can wait to see some pics of your smoked lights once they are installed!
kyleabaker
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by kyleabaker »

Any news with the lights?
Coop101
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by Coop101 »

Hey Guys,

Indeed it is I...LOL was hell finding my way back after falling of the face of the earth :D
Just read the messages i missed.. Kyle ... buddy .. sweet rims mate!!! looking tasty !

How things going mates ? What did i miss ???

To The PUB ! :cool:
e36 316
e36 318is project car
kyleabaker
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by kyleabaker »

Thanks man! I love the new wheels as well! You haven't missed all that much. Just been modifying my car a bit and working to improve the site some. I didn't have any big plans over the summer.

I got some M-Tech side mouldings for my car, but haven't installed them yet. Can't wait, cause they seem to visually improve the looks a lot.

So what is your vehicle situation? Still have the bike?
96is
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member

Post by 96is »

Welcome back!! it looks like we take turns falling off the face of the earth! :) The lights are great. I've got them installed but I keep forgetting to post pics, and I don't have them on this computer.

Kyle, those wheels look sharp! good choice.

Only news here is classes have started so, i may even more prone to falling off the face of the earth :(

I posted a copy of the front of my car to my 'garage' Is there a way to link to that in the post?
96 - 318is
kyleabaker
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by kyleabaker »

There is a link to your garage under your avatar to the left..
Looks like we have pretty close to the same ride! Haha. Thanks about the wheels! I'm very pleased with them. I'd still like to see the lights the rest of the way around if you get a chance! You can go to imageshack.us and upload your images there for free and without any registration, then post the image link here! After uploading the picture it takes you to a page with several links that you can use for thumbnails, full image, forum posts, etc. The forum image would be best here so it isn't too large. ;)

I'm also back at classes at NC State. This semester is going pretty smooth and easy so far. I'm glad to be back to a faster internet connection, haha.
kyleabaker
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by kyleabaker »

Hey John, you should post some pictures! Haha. How was your Thanksgiving...classes? I'm going to try to setup attachments soon so you'll be able to upload photos, etc while posting instead of having to upload to image hosting services and link to it in your post. Yeah, it's a little bit out of the way to post pics now. :D

Steve!? Where are you!?
kyleabaker
Site Admin
Site Admin

Attachments are ready!

Post by kyleabaker »

I got the attachments setup so it should be simple now to post pictures!
Attachments
BMWM1rad_1_560px.jpeg
BMWM1rad_1_560px.jpeg
BMWM1rad_1_560px.jpeg (37.13 KiB) Viewed 9855 times
BMWM1rad_2_560px.jpeg
BMWM1rad_2_560px.jpeg
BMWM1rad_2_560px.jpeg (55.16 KiB) Viewed 9855 times
96is
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member

Not Dead .... yet :)

Post by 96is »

Hey Kyle,
Sorry, I've been so dead lately. It's the usual excuse at the moment. This semester was a killer. My Thanksgiving was pretty good, how was yours? How did finals go? My week before finals was worse than finals week, but I'm glad that both of them are over now so whew... :) Only one semester left, and I have to be a honest responsible worker :(

Got any major plans for Christmas? I'm heading down south (AL) for a few days.

How did that storm hit you guys last week? It was icy here but not too bad.

I do have a question or two for you about your radio. Do you still have the stock unit? I forgot to check your signature to see if that's listed.... Anywho, the reason I ask is the past month or two, my stock (Tape/AM/FM/WB ) head unit has decided that at random times it will not work. It just cuts out and will eventually come back on (when it does, is entirely random but usually not soon after it cuts out) When it comes back on, I have to enter the anti-theft code and it works fine for a while. It could be 10-15 minutes, could be 2 or 3 days. Have you run into this? I'm thinking this break, I'm going to have Best Buy swap it out for an Alpine unit I have from the Jetta. So here's the other question, if you have had a stock head unit, did it light up when you turned the lights on? mine's pitch black, except for a faint light inside the tape deck. I can see the display fine at other times, but with the lights on, I can't see anything, not even the LCD screen. Since it's done this since I bought it I don't know if this is normal. I suspect not, what do you think?

Oh, I'm digging the 1 series too. I saw a touring model when I was in Brazil and would have brought it back if I could have fit it in the carry on.

Here's a pic of Roxanne (the car)
Changes since this pic: Clear front Turns, Bmw Emblems on all 4 wheels and removed those Anti-theft stickers from the rear windows. Other stuff is in the works as I have the money.

Here's one of my first Bimmer....
This is the pick that they had in AutoTrader. It's the only one I have on the computer
96 - 318is
kyleabaker
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by kyleabaker »

Thanksgiving was fun, went by super fast though. Finals went well. I'm ready for another semester. Good luck with your trip to AL. Hopefully it's warmer there, haha. It's been in the 20's here. We really didn't get much from the storm. A bit of rain, but that's all.

About your radio, you might want to check to connection on the back of it. It's really easy to get to. You just have to loosen two screws and it pulls straight out. Sounds like the power wire is loose of shorting somewhere. Honestly I love the stock radio. I know it's not got much (I have the tape, radio, disc changer combo in mine), but I love the way it fits in with my car. After market radios stand out so much to me and usually end up looking bad and tacky. The lcd sounds like the illumination wire. Do you have much experience with electronics or car radios? If that is all it is then it shouldn't be too difficult to fix. I mean it could be some internal damage, but by the way you've described the problems it sounds like faulty wires to me.

The 1-series it very nice man! I have a friend that I went to school with who is considering getting one after his 1995 325i. He recently had some transmission problems with his 3-series though and is probably going to have to go ahead and replace it, so I'm not sure if the 1-series is in the picture or not.

I like the old bimmer. Is that the 91 318is? I had a 1986 325e that looked very similar except it was tan. I miss that car. Previous to that was a 1982 325i. That car was a beauty! Solid black with gold stripes. I loved that car! Just had to get an e36 though. I'll upload some photos of the e21 and e30 if I can find them.
96is
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member

Post by 96is »

I'm hoping it will be warmer too. I was really hoping they'd be able to keep the 70's and 80's they were having 2 weeks ago. That would have been an awesome present :)

I whole heartedly agree with you about the appearance issues with the stock/aftermarket radios. I looked at trying to get one of the "Business Radios" that would be and actual BMW head unit but has a CD instead of a Tape deck. All of those looked like they were $$$$ ($700 from BavAuto) and for that much I could swap the units I have now.
I misspoke about the symptoms my radio shows. The LCD with the radio station still lights up, so I can see the radio station just not any of the preset buttons, or the WB/AM/FM/CD options. Is that what yours does? I do have some electrical competency but soldering is not among them. If it's a matter of pulling the head unit and re-securing the wiring harness I can handle that.

The black car is the 91. I sold it before I went overseas instead of driving it back home and leaving it with my parents while I was overseas. Sometimes I really wish I hadn't done that. With the amount of money I've invested in 4 cars since I've come back I could have really hooked it up. Of course, it didn't have sunroof and I'm now officially addicted to them :)

I look forward to the pictures.
96 - 318is
kyleabaker
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by kyleabaker »

About your radio, it sounds like it is faulty internally. To fix that you'd have to be pretty good with circuits and soldering as you said, so I might consider it beyond repair. However, I'd still say that it's worth a try to pull the radio out and make sure that all of the wires are secure and that the harness on the back is snug.

Also, there is a fuse on the back of the radio unit that could have something to do with it. Maybe it's blown, who knows. Here is a good guide for installation, but it might also help you with pin-pointing the problem..
http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/techart ... -Radio.htm

If you try that and see the same problems then I'd say it's most likely beyond repair.