where is the outside air temp sensor?

A Lounge for off topic discussions

Moderators: synergy, kyleabaker

96is
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member

Post by 96is »

Hey, Glad you finally put some cash down on the bike, Steve. Videos only please if you're not pulling a wheelie at the same time, and if you could donate some of that horsepower to weight ratio, our way. Okay maybe Kyle doesn't need it as much since he's got a 6, but every little bit helps :)
Nothing major here, changed jobs to an architecture firm but still doing computer work.
On the car front, it looks as if there is enough money in the piggy bank to get a new headliner, mine's falling down around the edges. Currently held in place with college student fail proof adhesive. i.e. staples. I am undecided about getting a contrasting color? Any ideas on your sides? I've currently got the Boston Green exterior and tan interior. What do you think about the black m3 headliners on that combination?
96 - 318is
97 VW Jetta GLS (totalled and why I hate curbs)
91 - 318is (gone but not forgotten)
kyleabaker
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by kyleabaker »

I would most likely stay with a matching color theme in my car (boston green exterier with dove gray interier), but honestly...it should be your own personal preference and no one else's. That being said, I'll give some more of my thought..

Having the same color exterier as yours...I can imagine the car with black interier and I think it would look really good! But if you have any photos of your car that capture the interier trima s well...I can photoshop it for you to change the headliner to black so you can get a quick taste of what it will look like.

Replacing the headliner with the same color might not seem too exciting, but really...it's would make the over all appearance of the car from the inside seem much newer/well taken car of. The black headliner would stand out and might make a great contrast...but sometimes it is the details that go somewhat un-noticed that create the nicest/most eligant appearance. ;) But like I said before it all still depends on your likings.

@Steve...John is right...videos would be excellent! You can upload them to youtube and post links here if you want!

I recently bought a new guitar so my car is yet again pushed off the top fo my list of things to buy for, haha. It works out fine tho, cause I play guitar a heck of alot more than driving while I'm here at college. The guitar can pick up babes just as easily as the car, haha. :D

Here's a picture..
96is
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member

Post by 96is »

I did stay with a matching theme, the place appears to have done a decent job on the headliner but their cleanup left a little to be desired. I got home before I realized they hadn't reattached the passenger side seatbelt :( I fixed it but let them know about it.

So now that the headliner's fixed I have fewer qualms about getting on with a slightly larger project. I believe the catalytic converter is bad (Check engine light and diagnostic tools say so) Anywho under high acceleration there's some kind of loose metal sound that fills the air. In an attempt to kill multiple birds with one large stone, I'm going to replace the cat and the muffler at the same time. I'm really pulling for a performance muffler of some kind and like what I've seen about the Stomung. Kyle have you heard it in person? They have a sound clip on understeer.com
96 - 318is
kyleabaker
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by kyleabaker »

@John
I'm all for performance exhausts! I think you might be able to kill the check engine light by replacing the o2 sensors on it, but a complete replacement would also be great. The rattling most often comes from a loose heat shield. I'll check out the sound clip and get back to you. I added several sound clips in the downloads section a long time ago, so I guess I'll have to update it, hehe.

@Steve
Where ya at bud?
96is
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member

Post by 96is »

I'm figuring on replacing the O2 sensors while I'm at it. I've heard or read somewhere that there is a way to check the o2 sensor with a multimeter. Have you heard that or done it? If I can find out that either of them are still good that'd save me a hundred bucks.

About the muffler, I'd really like to get more growl, but I'd remember how loud the B&B Triflow I had on my old car was. (I'd coast away from my girlfriend's house to keep from waking her parents up at night) I'm sure I'll get used to it but I'd like to see if I can keep my neighbors on my good side. I live in an apartment complex and for the most part there aren't regular loud cars here, I'd hate to be the first. Your turn...
96 - 318is
kyleabaker
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by kyleabaker »

You might check out this site for more info on the o2 sensor.. http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/techart ... sensor.htm

haha, I also have to coast away from my girlfriends house to keep from waking her family up, lol. I replaced my o2 sensor a while back, if I can find the site I used to purchase it then I'll post it up, but it was like $25 for a oem replacement o2 sensor.
96is
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member

Post by 96is »

Sorry for the delay, I hope your summer's going good. Finally got the new cat, and sensor but in the first week of summer, I got hit by a car, :shock: I was on my bike (2 wheels no engine :) so the bimmer's good and I"m pretty good, broke my shoulder blade but other than that just road rash.
Soooo Long story short, the mechanic may be putting in all this stuff instead of me. Oh well.

How's your summer going?
96 - 318is
kyleabaker
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by kyleabaker »

Dang man! Gotta hate crazy accidents like that. Hope you're doing better. Sorry it took so long to reply..I just got back from vacation with the girl's family. It was about this same time last year that I had an accident at work and crushed my right leg, still getting better from that one.

I'll be putting lowering springs and shocks on in the coming weeks. I have them at home, but I'm gonna have a guy I know put them on for me. The dangers of shocks flying free and nailing me in the head freak me out to much to do it myself, lol. I will post some pictures of before and after once they are installed!
96is
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member

Post by 96is »

Good luck with your install. What spring/shock setup are you going with? I had the Bilstein BST system put on in October and have liked them for the most part. Not too low, for the area where I drive, and not too annoying for long drives (800m 1 way to my folks :) Oh and I agree, the thought of springs flying off in random directions is what influenced me to have someone else do it.

The recovery is going pretty well. I had my 4 week follow up yesterday, The doc said the fracture is still there but I could drive :) A permission I readily accepted as a commandment :)

Out of curiosity have you ever named your car? mine's Roxanne (my expensive little habit)

John
96 - 318is
kyleabaker
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by kyleabaker »

Hey man! Glad to hear that your recovery is going well! I still don't have the struts and springs on. I went with the same struts that you have and a set of Bavarian lowering/sport springs from bavauto.com. I have them sitting on my front porch, but I'm gonna put them on this coming week! My uncle used to own a car garage and he has a professional spring compressor so he is going to help me out! Can't wait! I don't have to bother with those dangerous cheap spring compressors that you can buy in the stores for $15-20..so that's good.

I know how it is not being able to drive and all..last year when I broke my right leg I had to stay off the road for about 3 months! I was definitly ready by then, haha.

I haven't named my car yet, hehe. I guess I haven't really come up with any thing good for it yet. Roxanne is a great name tho, haha. I think of Roxanne as being an upper class kind of woman..that being said..it implies high maintainance..so it fits well, lol.
kyleabaker
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by kyleabaker »

Hey, I got my struts and springs installed! I ended up doing it myself with my uncles help..he used to own a car shop. Dude, it rides so great now! Its amazing! I can't believe it took so long for me to upgrade! I'll try to upload some before and after pics tomorrow. Later dude.
96is
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member

Post by 96is »

Glad your liking them. I'm still enjoying mine. How'd the 4th go for you? I relaxed at the lake, it was good to finally take some time off.
96 - 318is
kyleabaker
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by kyleabaker »

I love my new setup! I spent the 4th at the lake as well! It was great! I also just had a birthday..big 2-1 on the 5th. Now I'm about to head to the beach with several friends! Glad to hear you had a great 4th too! I'll upload some pictures soon of my car since it's been lowered and all.

Cheers!
96is
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member

Post by 96is »

How'd the beach go? Wow 21 :) I remember that a few years ago, wait'll you hit 25 (my most recent) then the insurance goes down! That was nice.

Quick question, it looks like you have clear turns? Can you post a pic of them on the car? And if you've got a pic of smoked turns. I haven't been able to find a good shot on the internet. My plan is to replace the turns, sides, and tails not all at the same time (too expensive). I like the smoked, but I haven't found smoked tails yet? and I think it would look kinda stupid to have a clear/smoked combo.
96 - 318is
kyleabaker
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by kyleabaker »

Beach went well! 21 is a great birthday..but in the end..it's only another birthday. Each birthday just means you're closer to the end, haha.

I have clears all the way around mine. Honestly I went the cheap way. I bought my clears on eBay. People will swear up and down that they are not as good as the ones you buy from BMW (granted BMW may make them higher quality), but mine are great. I honestly have no complaints. However, other parts..more serious parts such as shocks, chips, exhaust..I always go with BMW or bavauto for that stuff. I can upload some pics of my clears if you want to see them. I love them. The tails that I bought came with this yellow piece inside for the turn signals, but I just got a screw driver and broke it out so it looks about 1000 times better. I like the smoked tails as well, but to me..I just felt like the clears fit more with my car and didn't make it look too customized. I'm upgrading my car, but at the same time I want it all to seem as though it could have come that way. You know? The smoked lights look good on some cars, but they just didn't seem like they fit my car and color as well, but that all goes back to preference. I love to see other people's rides when they've gone a different route than me, because in the end it has to fit the driver..not everyone who sees the car. If you do go with smoked lights then I'm not sure how they fit in with the head lights unless they are smoked as well.

I'll gather some pics for you real quick. Brb..