DIY: E36 Replace Blower Resistor for Analog Climate Control

Do It Yourself guides for weekend mechanics!

Moderators: synergy, kyleabaker

kyleabaker
Site Admin
Site Admin

DIY: E36 Replace Blower Resistor for Analog Climate Control

Post by kyleabaker »

Please do this at your own risk. I am not responsible if you break anything. End legal mumbo jumbo.

Okay, if you have this kind of climate control:

and it will only work on number 4, it is time to replace your blower resistor. This is not hard at all and it took me about a half hour of wiggling around on the floor boards to accomplish it.

I ordered a new part from Pelican Parts for $22.25 plus shipping. It looks a bit different than the old one, but it works 4 times better.

Okay, the blower resistor is located behind what I call the OBC (the outside temp thing) close to the firewall. The get to the old one, you need to remove only one thing: the panel underneath the steering wheel. This is held on by one clip and two screws. Sounds simple, but it is pinched behind another piece, so you have to wiggle it to get it out of there. (Sorry no pics of that, I was wiggling too much.)

To begin, locate the two screws. The first is right next to the head light switch and the second is underneath on the passenger side of the panel.
This is the first screw:

This is the second:

This was taken after I took the panel off because it was very hard to see the screw hole with it on. Also, I pointed out the location of the blower resistor (BR).

Now, before you start wiggling it off, do not forget about the one clip that holds the passenger side of the panel in. I did, it ripped off, I glued it back on.

Once you wiggle the panel out, you will find that there are two wiring harnesses pluged into a speaker like thing. Unplug those and go about your project. Those go to a speaker that beeps sometimes. I think it is for if you have your lights on and you door open of something. Whatever, it doesn't matter.

I snapped a fuzzy shot of where the blower resistor should be:

It is the white thing.

This is the panel sans car. Here you can see that crazy speaker thing. And some Juicy Juice.

Okay, now just reach up in the dash and plug out the blower resistor, it sits in a little holder so just slide it out. Unclip the wiring harness, replace and slide back in. Simple.

Here's a shot of the crap one vs the new one.

Done. Enjoy your new A/C.
Source: http://www.unitedbimmer.com/forums/bmw- ... ntrol.html