(1991-1999)

Moderators: synergy, kyleabaker

96is
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member

Camshaft Error code

Post by 96is »

Hey guys,
Bit of a newbie to this forum but I've had a 318 before. I just picked up a pretty decent 96 318 but on the way back from actually handing the cash over, wouldn't you know it, the CEL came on. Got it checked out today at AutoZone. It had 3 codes, one about the cat operating below threshold and the Camshaft Postion Sensor Malfunction twice. So I'm going to have the exhaust looked at tomorrow because it sounds like there's a leak anyway. Basically my question is has anyone ever replaced this part on a 318 or similar engine? The Bentley says that I'm going to have to remove the upper intake manifold to get to the connector. (Thanks Kyle for the download) I can't help but think that (a) removing the manifold won't help and (b) it will be a bigger pain trying to reseal the manifold so I can drive the car.

Any pointers would be appreciated

Thanks
96 - 318is
97 VW Jetta GLS (totalled and why I hate curbs)
91 - 318is (gone but not forgotten)
kyleabaker
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by kyleabaker »

This hasn't happened to me before, but maybe I can help some (providing these resources is the least I can do for the bimmer community and people like you and I)...

You might want to run some fuel injector cleaner thru your motor once and see if that changes anything. It might be that the pistons are just dirty and the sensors are just having trouble. Let me take a look at the bentley too and I'll get back to you on those questions, but I hear ya on putting the manifold back on. I've been there and it's not fun, lol.

I'll get back to you....

In the meantime, cheers!
96is
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member

Post by 96is »

I'll try some cleaner today and thanks for the help.
96 - 318is
kyleabaker
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by kyleabaker »

Any news? Did the fuel injector cleaner help at all?

Cheers.
96is
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member

Post by 96is »

Not sure if it helped but the light did go out? I already ordered the part, just debating if I want to do that work this weekend or not.

Quick note though about the history article you have. If I'm not mistaken it's in Russian.
96 - 318is
kyleabaker
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by kyleabaker »

ah, sweet, thanx man. ;) I've been wondering for a while now, lol.

That's gonna be a lot of work over the weekend, but if it really needs it then it's probably best that you do it as soon as possible. let me know if you have any questions about it. i'll try to give you a second opinion if you need one.

cheers.
96is
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member

Post by 96is »

Changed the brakes front brakes this weekend and replaced the sensor. After I got into it, it wasn't hard at all. So far I've driven about 130 miles and no CEL yet :) Hopefully I'll be good for a bit.
96 - 318is
kyleabaker
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by kyleabaker »

No CEL is definitly some good results! Did it ever come back on after the fuel injector cleaner? Just curious to see if that helped any of the problem or not.

I always like to replace any parts in question as long as they are not extremely expensive. That's true with a lot of BMW owners tho. That is what keeps them running so long and have such a good reputation! ;)

cheers.

EDIT:
Wanted to let you know that I changed the Article that you mentioned a few posts back and now it is corrected. Thanks for the tip/contribution. ;)
96is
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member

Post by 96is »

The CEL came on yesterday, I haven't checked the codes but I should be getting it inspected for my tags tomorrow or this evening depending.

This might sound stupid but I need help trying to figure out how to set the clock. After I disconnected the battery, I was able to set it pretty easily but I messed up on the calendar and I can't get it to let me try again. Any suggestions? I tried the BMW owner's circle website but it's only good for '00 and above owner's manuals.
96 - 318is
kyleabaker
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by kyleabaker »

Ah crap, you just reminded me that my inspection goes out this month and I'm going back to school tomorrow, better get it inspected today! LOL.

Too bad you have an OBDII model, you could read the codes yourself on the OBDI models...
http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/techart ... eading.htm

I'm gonna go get my owner's manual out of my car and I'll let you know what it says about the clock deal. Brb...

EDIT:
Gonna go get it inspected right fast, I'll let you know about the manual when I get back...
kyleabaker
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by kyleabaker »

Ok, back.

I'm not sure which computer you have, the 7, 11, or 18 button peice, but I think you can set the clock or date by pressing and holding Clock+Set/Res or Date+Set/Res. Then you can reset with the time or date with the 1000/100/10/1 buttons Is that what you tried before that didn't work?
96is
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member

Post by 96is »

I've got the 7 button, and I've pressed and held the Clock/Date and set button; the set button and the hr/mnth button but it never seems like it's going into set mode.
96 - 318is
kyleabaker
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by kyleabaker »

hummm, I'll try mine again, but I think that works fine for mine. You might try disconnecting the battery and then trying to set the date and time. But I wouldn't do this unless you have your BMW Radio code availible, otherwise the radio will be locked. Unless you've got an aftermarket radio. ;)

I hope your computer is not damaged!
cheers.
96is
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member

Post by 96is »

I think I may go with disconnecting the battery again, after I find out what code is coming up now.
96 - 318is
kyleabaker
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by kyleabaker »

My radio code was on a BMW card. The guy I bought it from kept everything like that so I'd find the code before you disconnect, lol. Otherwise you'll have to go by a BMW Dealer and have them lookup the code. That might fix the clock problems tho.