Keyless remote problem - single button (seperate from key)

(1991-1999)

Moderators: synergy, kyleabaker

stevellion
n00b-1st Gear
n00b-1st Gear

Keyless remote problem - single button (seperate from key)

Post by stevellion »

I just picked up a 325TD SE '91 E36, that came with a single button keyless remote.
To start with, it didn't work, even though the red light (no, not the torch on the key) came on, but 'slightly' dim.
I thought battery was Ok.. so tried searching internet etc to no clear avail - mostly it's around the 2-button remote.
I did find something about resetting the receiver behind the glove box, so I took that off, found the receiver unit and then found a jumper on the back of it, next to some plugs.. (with hindsight, I think that may have actually just been a blank/short for a missing optional cable..) I removed the jumper, zapped the button a couple of times, then replaced the jumper.
Still didn't work.. I continue looking, no help.
This morning, at last, I was able to get a new battery..
Now it works.. locks and unlocks the car just fine..

BUT>>> - Now the little red light stays on ALL the time (quite dim) and when I press the button, it glows bright red..
Is it right, that it stays on.. or should it go off.. seems strange to me, wouldn't this flatten the battery too soon.
Or is it just coz it's a brand new battery??
I think the dim light, is getting dimmer over the past few hours, maybe.. but it's still on for sure.. (checked in a dark room)

Stevellion (Stev-ell-ion)
kyleabaker
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by kyleabaker »

It sounds like your keyless entry remote might have a short somewhere under the button, making contact at all times. If the light is staying on dimly it will drain the battery flat in just a few days. I think there is just something making contact inside that probably started after the remote was used alot. Sounds like normal wear-and-tear and you could probably fix it by just slightly bending any metal connectors back into their proper positions. Have you taken it apart to check for any bad peices inside?

hope you get it fixed. let us know if the insides are messed up and if you can fix them!

--kyleabaker