E34 524td won't start

(1972 - 2010)
BioBeemer
n00b-1st Gear
n00b-1st Gear

E34 524td won't start

Post by BioBeemer »

I have a 1990 E34 524td that fried it's electrical (alternator grounded out).

Now it won't start unless you touch 12v to the fuel injection pump. I think it's a problem with the DDE (digital diesel electronics) or the Fuel Injection Pump Controller.

In 1987 digital diesel electronics (DDE) were introduced in the turbodiesel engine. This electronic regulation and timing system replaced mechanical control of the otherwise unchanged distributor-type injection pump. Better control by the DDE further improved fuel consumption, exhaust emissions and torque. Moreover the accelerator pedal was no longer connected by a a cable to the injector pump but rather by an electronic link.
In 1989 the non-turbocharged engine was also given DDE. This version was offered in BMW's small vehicle range until the end of 1990.

Please help me find the repair guide or the correct parts! Nobody I know has any idea what to do.

Thanks,
Ryan
Anything made from Hydrocarbons can be made from Carbohydrates... www.biobased.com

1990 E34 524td on Biodiesel
kyleabaker
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by kyleabaker »

did you check in the downloads section? there are a couple of Service and Repair Manuals for e4 5-Series that may not have the 524td, but being the same model should have alot of useful information for you. There are also a few downloads for 5-Series and the 524td in the Electronic Trouble Shooting Manuals section. Sorry I can't help you more. I don't personally know a whole lot about the 5-Series. But feel free to browse the downloads and find some useful information.