Next Generation 1 Series Coupe & Convertible Previewed

bimmermania
Turbo Charged Member
Turbo Charged Member

Next Generation 1 Series Coupe & Convertible Previewed

Post by bimmermania »

In the final installment of Scott27′s February update he spills what he know on the next generation 1 Series Coupe. It’s a good read but we wanted to make it a little better by combining it with some of our own information to give you the following report.

The Coupe and Convertible 1 Series has sold fairly well in the US. However there is some thought among BMWNA brass that the 135i wasn’t given enough differentiation over the 128i and thus didn’t sell as well as it could have. With more time to develop the shape of the coupe and the offerings of the 135i model in particular we expect BMW to go more aggressive with the new car. Specifically we expect BMW to fit a more powerful N55 (320 hp perhaps) with a more aggressive 135i specific bodykit.

BMW is keen to keep the proportion just right. The current E82 is almost as perfect as possible a reinterpretation of the classic E30 proportions (despite the “sow” line that can be a problem for some). Speaking of that line on the lower portion of the door you can wave goodbye to it with the new car. In total the new coupe and convertible will be wider, longer and very slightly taller than the current car.

The next Cabrio will carry over that straight forward clean appearance of the current car with the new design but will retain it’s quick and lightweight soft top roof keeping costs and weight down.

Author: Staff Source: [url]http://w ... kes-shape/