where is the outside air temp sensor?

A Lounge for off topic discussions

Moderators: synergy, kyleabaker

96is
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member

Post by 96is »

I wound up using the head unit I had laying around and getting some new rear speakers (one wasn't working, the other was going bad). It's awesome to be able to see the radio buttons now. This unit will change lighting so I've got it set pretty much where it matches the stock interior lighting at night.

Our semester starts Monday. My last one! and I can't wait to get it over with. How many do you have left?
96 - 318is
97 VW Jetta GLS (totalled and why I hate curbs)
91 - 318is (gone but not forgotten)
kyleabaker
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by kyleabaker »

Cool man, so you got the new head unit installed and looking pretty smooth! Glad to hear it! I haven't done anything to my car in a while. Wish I had some money, haha.

My semester started on the 9th, but I have one more year after this. Then to grad school!
kyleabaker
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by kyleabaker »

How's everything going guys!
96is
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member

Post by 96is »

Sorry for seeming to be dead. Things are going pretty well here. I've got a little over a month left before I graduate! Nothing major's been happing with the car. She's at the doctor (mechanics) at the moment. Hopefully I'll still have a pocket book when she gets back. I asked them to look into several issues, but if you want to break some brain cells on the problems.
If you're traveling and push in the clutch, 96% of the time it will drop to about 1000 RPM and stay there until you come to a full stop, then it'll go down to 7 or 8 where it's supposed to be.
2nd issue is the clutch/transmission are acting up. Sometimes, mostly when it's cool, if I push in the clutch and go from 1st to 2nd I get that lovely grinding sound of a missed shift. If I push in the clutch again, I can get second gear. Hopefully my transmission isn't shot :( or going south
3rd ~ both my rear brake lights went out, the fuse appears to be still good and the 3rd Brake light shows. I don't have the time right now to tear the car apart over that one, but I didn't want to drive it until that got resolved.

The radio/speaker upgrade appears to have gone well.

How are things going there? Any recent changes? Started saving for the M5 motor for yours yet :)
96 - 318is
kyleabaker
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by kyleabaker »

#1: My car seems to do something similar with the clutch. I haven't looked into it before though. I'll search around and let you know if I find out anything, but let me know what it is if you find out first!

#2: This sounds like it could be a pressure issue. Have you checked your brake fluid level recently? The clutches in these models (as far as I know) build pressure from the brake fluid. I had a brake fluid leak a while back and my clutch would just fall to the floor on just a bit of pressure.

#3: Hummm. Definitely a short/burn-out spot somewhere. I'll see what I can find about it.

Haha. No M5 motor for my e36. I haven't done much to mine lately. I did, however, take the doors and interior apart about a week or two ago and put all new clips in to make the panels fit snug and give it a better feeling. It cost me like $5 for all the clips for the front doors and they alone took about ~1.5 hours to swap out. I need to pull out the headliner over the summer and repair it where it is sagging and coming loose. You know how it goes when you have to maintain it a bit, but I love doing these things. As long as nothing bad goes wrong, haha.
96is
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member

Post by 96is »

I haven't checked my brake fluid level but that is an interesting thought.

Where did you order the door clips from? I need to do the same to mine, as well as the inside A pillar covers. I've already had my headliner fixed, and that's when the A pillar covers got messed up, not too bad, but enough that I know they need replacing.
96 - 318is
kyleabaker
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by kyleabaker »

Where did you order the door clips from? I need to do the same to mine, as well as the inside A pillar covers. I've already had my headliner fixed, and that's when the A pillar covers got messed up, not too bad, but enough that I know they need replacing.
I've heard that they are really cheap if you buy them straight from the dealer, but I just bought mine off of ebay (like these). Can't really beat some of those ebay deals, haha.

So how did you repair your headliner? I'm kind of dreading that one. Did you take it in to someone else or buy some products and do it yourself? Turn out well?
96is
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member

Post by 96is »

I had a local place do the headliner. It came out okay and they kept the original headliner material on the sunroof because it hadn't faded too bad. (Apparently that take the project cost up :) I'm pretty happy with the job they did on the headliner. I find some faults, but that may be because I'm too picky.

If you do have some do it for you, before you take the car back, check your interior to make sure it's all put together, (my passenger seatbelt didn't get refastened to the shoulder harness point) check out your A pillars to see if they're really back on, or the snaps are messed up. Also check out the back of the headliner (where it meets the rear window) just to see about the quality of the job. You might not be able to see anything since your windows are tinted.

Hope that helps
96 - 318is
kyleabaker
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by kyleabaker »

I'll have to check around and see if I can find someone local to repair it for me then! Can't believe they forgot to refasten a seatbelt in your car though! Wow. I'd like to just get a new headliner or a good condition used one and just replace it on my own, but I don't really know where to look for that.

I'm also pretty picky about my car, haha. It's the attention to detail that makes us love our cars so much anyway though.
Coop101
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by Coop101 »

Gentleman... How the hell are we ???

Kyle my good man, it surely has been a while hasn't ?!?!?!
You may begin with the ragging of where i been and why so quite...

Suffice to say i did miss you guys alot ! ( hope that makes up for my silence lol )

How you doing buddy ? 96is... You good ? nearly done with your studies i see ! Awesome, good luck. Sorry to hear about your car / gearbox issues :cry:

I will let you recover from the shock of me pitching up again lol... chat soon guys !

To THE PUB! :cool:
e36 316
e36 318is project car
kyleabaker
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re:

Post by kyleabaker »

Coop101 wrote:Kyle my good man, it surely has been a while hasn't ?!?!?!
You may begin with the ragging of where i been and why so quite...
Haha, man. We thought you feel off the face of the Earth, lol.
Coop101 wrote:Suffice to say i did miss you guys alot ! ( hope that makes up for my silence lol )
That's enough to make up for the silence, as long as you don't let it happen again, lol. :D
Coop101 wrote:How you doing buddy ? 96is... You good ? nearly done with your studies i see ! Awesome, good luck. Sorry to hear about your car / gearbox issues :cry:
I have no complaints man! Just enoughing my summer. I'd like to do a couple of things to the car, but I've got to either wait out the poor weather or clear out the garage (too much rain :shock: ).

You guys don't happen to have a set of side moulding tools for removal do you? :lol: I've got a new set of M-Technic side mouldings for my car and can't find an easy way to remove the old ones without scratching my paint.

Anyhoo, I'm good! How about yourself?
Coop101 wrote:I will let you recover from the shock of me pitching up again lol... chat soon guys !
I'm recovering fine from the shock, haha. Just been busy updating the entire site since I've had some break-time this summer. Should be a lot better in several areas now. ;)
96is
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member

Re: where is the outside air temp sensor?

Post by 96is »

Hey Coop! Glad to see you're still alive. Looks like there's been some rough stuff going on in South Africa, has that affected you at all?

Unofficially I'm graduated! I haven't received the diploma in the mail but I'm hoping it will come soon.

The last doctor visit (for the car) went better than I had hoped, turned out the brake lights were just the bulbs :oops: I had checked that but they both looked good. Dave put in some lube or something in the transmission and it seems to be doing a bit better.
Yesterday marked the 26th year of my parents putting up with me, so I washed and waxed the car to celebrate :) She looks pretty good now, though I am having some issues with paint bubbles. 2 that have popped and begun peeling on the trunk and 1 that just started on the roof. Any suggestions? In other news I've been biking (2 wheels and pedals) not 2 wheels and a motor and took my first bike camping trip last night, learned a few lessons about the importance of bug spray and proper gear but had a good time overall.

Kyle, sorry I don't have any tips on the molding but congrats on getting some upgrades. I haven't done anything other than the wax for the car lately. Hopefully this summer will see some nice stuff. Also, when your out of school and away from Raleigh where do you hang your hat? Our company has a project opening in Charlotte that I may be coming out to up set up the computer side for in a month or so. Nothing official yet but if I can I'd drop by to say hi.
96 - 318is
kyleabaker
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by kyleabaker »

Hey man! Congrats on being almost officially graduated! I still have another year..then I'll be well on my way, haha. I still haven't gotten around to changing the side mouldings on my car. I guess I need to just go ahead and buy the moulding trim tools from Bav Auto or something. Maybe I can resell then immediately after on ebay and almost get my money back. I really just need them for a one time change..

Anyway, I mostly live in Raleigh, but my home town is back up in the mountains between Asheville and Boone. Just let me know if you're up this way and we'll definitely have to do something!

Coop...hope everything's well your way too!

cheers.
96is
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member

Post by 96is »

Happy 4th! It's now official! got the diploma yesterday :)
Kyle, Good luck with your remaining year and I will definitely let you know when I'm coming that way.
96 - 318is
kyleabaker
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by kyleabaker »

Hey! Happy 4th to you as well!

Coop, celebrate one with us, haha.