Charge Light Flashes on for a second while driving

Ask about features, problems, etc with the forum.

Moderators: synergy, kyleabaker

zed3
n00b-1st Gear
n00b-1st Gear

Charge Light Flashes on for a second while driving

Post by zed3 »

Hi,

I own a E46 318i with the Valvetronic N42B20 engine. I have been very happy with the car until recently where I now have 2 faults to fix, which I don't mind since
I really appreciate the engineering in this car and derive great pleasure in driving it. The 1st time I drove the E46 I was hooked.

So now to my little issues.....

1] The charge light comes on while driving, but only for a second or 2, then I get a sharp jerk, then it's off and everything fine again. I noticed it does that after the engine has reached mid temperature on the Temp gauge but it only does it once in a while. i.e. sometimes once a week or once in 2 weeks. Not often enough to figure out what's causing it. But the jerk you get when the lights on is severe. I have 2 options on this, the one is that the Alternator regulator is one it's way out and the second is that the crankshaft sensor is on it's way out. I would like to have it repaired but can't afford to replace both these parts. So any suggestions on which it most likely is would be helpful.

2] Oil drips accumulating around the sump area. I though it was the sump gasket But I have been told it is more likely to be the OIL FILTER housing gasket.
Any info. on this issue would also be appreciated.