(1991-1999)

Moderators: synergy, kyleabaker

regcheeseman
n00b-1st Gear
n00b-1st Gear

320i wiring mods by previous owner

Post by regcheeseman »

Hi,

I've just bought a lovely 320i that has had 7 previous caring owners and one muppet who should not have been allowed to play with lego as a child.

I've a few questions and yes I have had a search first!

I've a few wiring issues -

first the wipers only work on high speed and then dont park properly when switched off. I've pulled the motor and checked the park switch inside and I've tried looking for the wiper control module but the only bit I've found is like a relay with "wisch wasch" written on it. I've looked behind the glovebox and under the steering wheel and behind the drivers kick panel and can find nothing like I've seen in other posts on here??? Have I already found it?

by the fusebox there is a multipin connector covered by a rubber boot, wires have been crudely broken out through this rubber boot as per picture - any idea why? Is it service light related?

Also the alarm, switching it on and it buzzed loudly continuously - seemed to work ok though. But the buzzing was so loud I had to turn the alarm off again. Eventually after messing around looking for the wiper module and plugging/unplugging all sorts of stuff I tried the alarm again and it stopped buzzing! But I discovered two days later that the battery was flat. :(

Also should the module shown in picture (alarm???) realy be tied up with cable ties under glovebox with a huge amount of wires coming off them?

Very grateful for any help you can offer.
synergy
n00b-1st Gear
n00b-1st Gear

Re: 320i wiring mods by previous owner

Post by synergy »

regcheeseman wrote: ...Eventually after messing around looking for the wiper module and plugging/unplugging all sorts of stuff I tried the alarm again and it stopped buzzing! But I discovered two days later that the battery was flat. :(
man, that's a ton of confidence. i hope you schemed everything out. but if not, you're in luck my friend. here is a helpful wiring page:

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/veh ... d/BMW.html

as for the battery dying on you, i'd suggest you be careful not to unintentionally short/mislead a cable.

let me know if the page helps. ill try to come up with some more info for your wiper dilema.
regcheeseman
n00b-1st Gear
n00b-1st Gear

Post by regcheeseman »

man, that's a ton of confidence. i hope you schemed everything out. but if not, you're in luck my friend. here is a helpful wiring page:

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/veh ... d/BMW.html

as for the battery dying on you, i'd suggest you be careful not to unintentionally short/mislead a cable.
I used to be a senior design engineer, designing amongst other things....vehicle wiring looms.

So yeah - a ton of confidence

And the battery going flat was just coincidence, an old battery and the fact that the car is laid up. I refitted the battery yesterday and with the alarm back on I only get a 80ma current draw - and that's with the boot open.

Thanks for the link - any more help would be great. :-D