advice wanted..found an OBC for my 318i..will it work?

(1991-1999)

Moderators: synergy, kyleabaker

chrismcl06
n00b-1st Gear
n00b-1st Gear

advice wanted..found an OBC for my 318i..will it work?

Post by chrismcl06 »

hi everyone im new here so i dont know allot. i have found an OBC in the scrap yard but am unsure whether it will fit into my 318i can anyone help me as to where it could go and if it is eay to fit? any help is appreciated. thanks :huh:
kyleabaker
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: advice wanted

Post by kyleabaker »

chrismcl06 wrote:hi everyone im new here so i dont know allot. i have found an OBC in the scrap yard but am unsure whether it will fit into my 318i can anyone help me as to where it could go and if it is eay to fit? any help is appreciated. thanks :huh:
first off, Welcome to the kyleabaker.com forums chrismcl06!

about the OBC, the On Board Computer for the e36 models can come in one of three forms.

1. 7 button OBC
2. 11 button OBC
3. 18 button OBC

...which OBC do you currently have? and which one will you be changing to?

As far as i know, if you are going from the 11-button to the 18-button it should be fairly simple, practically plug-n-play, as well as vice versa. However, a conversion from a 7-button to an 11- or 18-button OBC can be a lot of work. There is alot of splicing involved with this and it is not recommended if it is not absolutily necessary.

if you are going to swapout with the same kind of OBC then all you will need to do is make note of where each wire is connected and connect them the same way on the new OBC.

there is a DIY for the 11-button to 18-button OBC on the following site:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/techart ... onvert.htm

if you need more help please do ask! oh, and what obc will you be switch to and from? i might be able to find some more information for you based on your conversion/swap.

cheers! and welcome to the site!
chrismcl06
n00b-1st Gear
n00b-1st Gear

Post by chrismcl06 »

i dont have an OBC in the car at the moment

i would like to add one to it
kyleabaker
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by kyleabaker »

i haven't forgot about you, haha, just searching for some information that will help you out. that DIY link i posted should help you some, but i'm trying to find some more descriptive information for you.