Brakes and Coolant levels..questions

(1991-1999)

Moderators: synergy, kyleabaker

dan1braden
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Brakes and Coolant levels..questions

Post by dan1braden »

My car says I should check coolant level? I already added aluminum-based coolant. I have been driving the car and the temp never gets over half on the gauge. I checked the coolant and its still full. Friends have told me that it could be not airtight. Anyway I don’t know and I thought I would ask. Any help will be very much appreciated. On another note, my brakes need change and just would like to know if I can do this myself or do I have to take this to a dealer. Once again, any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
kyleabaker
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by kyleabaker »

about the coolant, you might want to check the sensor and make sure it is working correctly. I've heard of these going bad. You can probably find something for this in a repair manual in the downloads section.

The brakes are also very easy to replace on your own. There are guides and directions to this also in the repair manuals section. If your abs brake light is on, then there is also a way to fix this when you change your brakes. It should be covered in the guide in the repair manual as well. You pretty much just replace a wire that senses that signals to the car that the brakes are low or abs brakes need maintenance.
dan1braden
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Post by dan1braden »

Thanks kyle!! im going to fix my brakes this weekend!! the reason i asked the question is because everyone i know kept telling me that the brake pad is different shaped,etc. They kept saying i have to take it to a german mechanic, but anyone thanks a million.
kyleabaker
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by kyleabaker »

I've not changed my brakes myself yet (really just haven't had the time to), but from what I've read and heard about it, they are very easy to change out jsut like any other vehicle. As I said those repair manuals shoudl have steps for this process that should make it very easy for you. Feel free to take pictures and upload a small step by step into the DIY section!