Car wash caused dials to go crazy..now car won't stay on

(1991-1999)

Moderators: synergy, kyleabaker

lou325IS

Car wash caused dials to go crazy..now car won't stay on

Post by lou325IS »

about a week ago.i was going thru the car wash and my car went nuts,,,,the dials went crazy.and car shut off and would not start until next day..ok so it seemed something was wet.so i had my car towed home.ok ever since that it wont stay on i thought it was the computer,but everybody say car wouldnt even turn on...so when it was on last time i heard the air flow meter making a ticking sound..anyways the car starts as long as i keep my foot on the gas everything normal. but as soon as i take my foot of the gas the check engine light kicks on and car shut off, i need help ..what can i be.. AIRFLOW METER..FUEL PUMP....OR COMPUTER...I NEED MY BEEMER DANG IT IM LIKE SUPERMAN WITH OUT THE CAPE. THANKS IN ADVANCE
kyleabaker
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by kyleabaker »

hey lou325IS,

welcome.

I've heard many times of e36's going nuts from car washes. From what I've read over the net it's usually that the ECU gets wet, which means that you'll most likely have to replace the entire unit. What is the current status of the car?

I can give you more information on that if you want. Just let me know.

kyle
lou
n00b-1st Gear
n00b-1st Gear

UPDATE

Post by lou »

OK CAR TURNS ON, BUT WONT IDLE..SO IT LOOKS LIKE THE IDLE CONTROL IS OUT OF WACK..I TOOK IT TO THE MECH TONOIGHT LET THEM DEAL WITH IT,,,,BUT I DROVE IT THERE , I FLEW I MENT.HEHEANYWAYS SOON AS I TOOK MY FOOT OF THAT PEDAL IT TURN OFF , BUT IN FRONT OF THE MECH DOOR.. IL KEEP YOU POSTED

GOOD LOOKING OUT :wink:
kyleabaker
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by kyleabaker »

Yeah, please do keep me posted on this issue.

I'm wondering if it could be a problem with the ICV? Thats something you can clean yourself with some rubbing alcohol. Altho, your problem seems more severe than a ICV problem normally would. Normally it is an ICV problem if your rpms bounce around when you take your foot off the gas, but doesn't usually kill the motor.

Well, best of luck, waiting to find out..